In 2014 I was appointed University Lecturer in Technology and Innovation Management at Division E (Manufacturing and Management), better known as the Institute for Manufacturing (IfM) of the Engineering Department at the University of Cambridge. I am a fellow of the Innovation and Intellectual Property Research Group at Chalmers University of Technology (Sweden) and Affiliate to the Cambridge Centre for Intellectual Property and Information Law.
I serve on the Exploitation Committee of CIPA (the Chartered Institute for Patent Attorneys) and I am a member of the UKIPO Research Expert Advisory Group (REAG) for Registered Rights. I also serve on the editorial boards of World Patent Information, the leading journal in the field of Industrial Property information and documentation (IP informatics) and LES Nouvelles, the journal of the Licensing Executive Society. I am board member and Secretary General of the European Institute for Technology and Innovation Management (EITIM). Besides research, I love spending time with my family and have an interest in photography.
I hold a doctoral degree (Ph.D.) in economics and social sciences from Hamburg University of Technology. I am trained in industrial engineering and management. I was born in Hamburg (Germany) many years ago. German is my mother tongue, but I happen to speak English as well as a little Spanish and Swedish. My private interests include (besides photography), rowing, sailing and running, but also contemporary art and industrial design.
Present and past academic affiliations
- University of Cambridge, Institute for Manufacturing, Department of Engineering, university lecturer in technology and innovation management (since 09/2014)
- University of Cambridge (Pembroke College), Centre for Technology Management at the Institute for Manufacturing (IfM), Department of Engineering, visiting researcher (07/2013 – 11/2013)
- Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel (Germany), Institute for Innovation Research, assistant professor (habilitand) (03/2012 – 09/2014)
- Chalmers University of Technology (Göteborg, Sweden), Innovation and Intellectual Property Reserach Group, research fellow (since 12/2010)
- Hamburg University of Technology (Germany), Institute for Technology and Innovation Management, senior researcher (04/2011 – 01/2012 ).
- European Institute for Technology and Innovation Management (EITIM), Secretary general and co-founder of the European Network for Young Researchers (EITIM Doc) (since 10/2007 ).
- Tohoku University (Sendai, Japan), Department of Management Science and Technology, Visiting fellow (09/2006-10/2006)
- Chalmers University of Technology (Göteborg, Sweden), Department for Industrial Management and Economics, visiting research fellow (since 12/2005 )
- Hamburg University of Technology (Germany), Institute for Technology and Innovation Management, research assistant and doctoral candidate ( 09/2005 – 03/2011 )
- Research assistant, Department for Industrial Management and Economics, Chalmers University of Technology, Göteborg, Sweden ( 09/2004-11/2005 )
Dr. rer. pol. (rerum politicarum) – German Ph.D. equivalent in Social sciences and Economics, Hamburg University of Technology, Hamburg. 2011. „Summa cum laude“ („ausgezeichnet“ / with distinction).
MSc. – Master of Science degree in engineering from the international master programm „Management of Production“, Chalmers University of Technology, Göteborg. 2004. „with distinction“.
Dipl.-Ing. oec. – Joint degree program in „Industrial Engineeing and Management“, Hamburg University of Technology, University of Hamburg, Univesity of Applied Sciences, Hamburg. 2005.
I am a co-founder of the venture capital financed ARKTIK GmbH, an award-winning and leading climate care company for compensation of CO2 mobility emissions. The company was founded in 2008 together with Dr. Dominic de Vries and Dr. Florian Skiba. I was member of the executive management board until 11/2009.
At Cambridge I teach in engineering students, particularly in the Manufacturing Engineering Tripos and MPhil Industrial Systems, Manufacture and Management (ISMM). Before joining Cambridge in 2014 I have been involved in teaching at different universities including Kiel University (Germany), where I also teach at the Kiel School of Sustainability, Hamburg University of Technology (Germany), CHALMERS University of Technology (Sweden), Tohoku University (Japan) primarily on masters level. Selected courses, in which I have been involved include Strategic Technology Management, Strategic Management of Intellectual Property, Leadership and Management. I have also tutored at the Northern Institute of Technology (Germany).
Project experience (selected)
- “Excavating the Role of NPEs in the Innovation Process” in cooperation with the Adam Smith Business School, University of Glasgow funded by the Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland. Project partner (since 01/2014).
- “KOPS – Koordination von Opferbetreuung und psychologischer Soforthilfe”, funded by the German Federal Ministery of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS). Deputy project leader (Since 07/12)
- “Firms’ transition towards green product-service-system innovators” in cooperation with TUHH, University of Cambridge, Leuphana University Lüneburg. Project leader (Since 09/2010)
- DFG funding application project for an international research training group (IRTG), “Innovation and Change in Aging Societies, TUHH, Germany and Tokyo Tech, Japan (08/2010 ).
- Various EU funding application projects for EITIM (e.g. 2009+2010 Erasmus Mundus II program application for a joint PhD program in Technology and Innovation Management, 2010 Marie Curie application for an Initial Training Network).
- International MELT (Melting Management, Economics, Law and Technology) project funded partly by Vinnova – The Swedish government agency under the Ministry of Enterprise, Energy and Communications, Project leader: Prof. Dr. Ove Granstrand, CTH, Göteborg, Sweden.
- The role of the CTO, an international research project of EITIM institutes (including field research in Japan – 09-10/2006).
- DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) funded project “Development of a European joint PhD program in technology and innovation management” in preparation of the Erasmus Mundus II application ( 08 – 12/2008).
- “Realizing potential! – Strengthening the external technology exploitation competence of Hamburg based SMEs” funded by the EU Region Development Fund through the RIS Hamburg Project (05/2007 – 06/2008 )–> www.ip-verwertung.info.
- Project manager for the study “economic effects of patenting and innovation for growth and welfare” for the Swedish Ministry of Industry, Trade and Communication, Project leader: Prof. Dr. Ove Granstrand, CTH, Göteborg, Sweden (10/2004 – 06/2005 ).
- Assistant of the CEO, internship at the TüV Rheinland de Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico (01-06/2002 ).
Memberships (current and past)
- AoM – Academy of Management
- CUS – The Cambridge Union Society
- DHV – German Association of University Professors and Lecturers (Deutscher Hochschulverband)
- EITIM – European Institute for Technology and Innovation Management, Board member
- EITIM Doc – The Network for PhD students, postdocs and alumni
GfB – Society for Management in Kiel (Gesellschaft für Betriebswirtschaft zu Kiel e.V.)
SPIN – Stella Polaris Innovation Network (Aarhus University, Kiel University, University Hamburg, University of Southern Denmark), Research partner
- VHB – German association of business administration researchers (Verband der Hochschullehrer der Betriebswirtschaft) – TIE commission (Technology, Innovation and Entrepreneurship)
Selected journals and conferences for which I review
California Management Review (CMR), DRUID, European Academy of Management (EURAM), European Management Journal (EMJ), Health Policy, International Conference on Management of Innovation & Technology (ICMIT), International Journal of Technology Management (IJTM), Research Policy, Scientometrics, Technology Forecasting and Social Change, Zeitschrift für Management